Thursday 9 January 2014

Feast of the Baptism of the Lord (12th January 2014)

                             Mersey Leven Catholic Parish

Parish Priest:  Fr Mike Delaney   (mob: 0417 279 437)
Assistant Priest:  Fr Augustine Ezenwelu  (mob: 0470 576 857)
Postal Address: PO Box 362, Devonport 7310
Parish Office: 90 Stewart Street, Devonport 7310 
Office Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10am - 3pm
Office Phone: 6424 2783 Fax: 6423 5160 
FaceBook: Mersey Leven Catholic Parish
Newsletter: mlcathparish.blogspot.com.au
SecretaryAnnie Davies   
Pastoral Council Chair:  Mary Davies


Our Parish Sacramental Life

Baptism: arrangements are made by contacting Parish Office. 
Parents attend a Baptismal Preparation Session on first Tuesday of February, April, June, August, October and December. 
Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist: Are received following a Family–centred, Parish-based, School-supported Preparation Program.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults: prepares adults for reception into the Catholic community.
Marriage: arrangements are made by contacting one of our priests - couples attend a Pre-marriage Program
Anointing of the Sick: please contact one of our priests
Reconciliation:  Ulverstone - Fridays (10am - 10:30am)
                         Devonport -  Saturday (5:15pm– 5.45pm)
                         Penguin    -  Saturday (5:15pm - 5:45pm)

Scripture Readings (Feast of the Baptism of the Lord) 

FIRST READING: Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7 
RESPONSORIAL PSALM (R.) The Lord will bless his people with peace.
SECOND READING: Acts 10:34-38
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION Alleluia, alleluia! The heavens were opened and the Father’s voice was heard: this is my beloved Son, hear him. Alleluia!
GOSPEL: Matthew 3:13-17


Next Week: 2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time - Year A

FIRST READING: Isaiah 49:3, 5-6
SECOND READING: 1 Corinthians 1:1-3
GOSPEL: John 1:29-34


Masses Next Weekend: 19th January 2014

Saturday Vigil:     6.00pm    Penguin
                                      Devonport 
           
Sunday Mass:      8:30am    Port Sorell   
                          9:00am    Ulverstone
                        10:30am    Devonport
                        11:00am    Sheffield    
                         5:00pm    Latrobe


Masses This Week:  13th - 17th January 2014

Monday             No Mass
Tuesday            9.30am - Penguin
Wednesday       9.30am - Latrobe
Thursday          12noon - Devonport
Friday              9.30am - Ulverstone


Eucharistic Adoration:
Devonport:  Every Friday 10am - 12noon, concluding with Stations of the Cross and Angelus (starting again 31st January)
Devonport: Benediction with Adoration - first Friday of each Month.
Ulverstone:  First Friday 11.45am-12.45pm and Third Sunday  5pm – 6pm.

Prayer Groups: 
Charismatic Renewal - Ulverstone (Community Room) Every second and fourth Monday of the month 7:30pm - (now in recession until Monday 10th February, 2014
                              - Devonport (Emmaus House) Thursdays - 7:30pm - (now in recession until Thursday 30th January, 2014.)

Christian Meditation   - Devonport, Emmaus House - Wednesdays 7pm. Recommencing Wednesday 5th February, 2014.

PREGO REFLECTION ON THE GOSPEL
The baptism of Jesus foreshadowed his death and resurrection. When Jesus went into the water, we see his death. As he came out of the water and received the Holy Spirit, we see his resurrection. 
Through the power of water, we see our death with Christ in our baptism. We also see our rising to new life with him. Like Jesus, we receive the Holy Spirit in baptism; we become “children of God.” 
As always, I slowly become still. When ready, I begin to read the text until I am familiar with it. I may then use my imagination try to enter the scene. 
I hear the running of the water of the river Jordan . . . 
Perhaps I join the crowd - drawn by their excitement . . . 
I watch them and could even talk to some of them . . 
And then I hear the voices of Jesus and John. 
I listen to what they say. To whom do I find myself drawn? 
Suddenly I see the heavens open, the dove-like Spirit of God appearing, I hear God’s voice. . . . 
I stay in this scene as long as I have time, reflecting on my feelings and sharing them in conversation with Jesus. I talk with him from my heart. . . . 
As usual, I slowly end my prayer thanking God in my own words and very simply. I may like to renew my Baptismal promises.
Reflection taken from Prego - a weekly reflection from St Beuno's Ignatian Centre in Tremerchion - Nr St Asaph, Wales


From Fr Mike

This is now my 2nd full weekend in the Parish and I'm finally managing to see some end in sight to the settling in process.  Fr Augustine and I are finding our way around the various changes that a new Parish Priest brings to a House and a Community and, hopefully, people will see those changes in a positive light in the weeks ahead.

I will be away for a few days later this month catching up with fellow Tasmanians who have participated in the Ecce Homo Program - In the Footsteps of Jesus - held in Jerusalem each September. This will be a great opportunity to reflect on that journey and share experiences about how to promote the experience and share it with people in the Parish.

Announced this weekend is the fact that there is to be an Open House at the Devonport Parish House on Friday, 7th February commencing at 7.00pm. This event is open to every member of the Parish Community and will be the first of a number which will be held during the year ahead.

Over the next few weeks (and in the published newsletter recommencing at the beginning of February)  I will be giving some idea of the ways Fr Augustine and I will be working to meet the challenges of this great Parish.

Until next week, please take care on the roads and in your homes
Fr Mike  

The other normal weekly Newsletter Material will be added when the published edition recommences




No comments:

Post a Comment